- De Haagse Hogeschool
- Den Haag (Zuid-Holland)
- Tijdelijk, Vast
- min. 0,8 fte, max. 0,8 fte
- max. 11 (€3.477,27 - €4.777,65)
- Stafdienst (algemeen), Pabo & lerarenopleidingen
Do you have experience as an English Lecturer focusing on improving professional writing? Can you motivate young people with an international background to develop their writing skills and knowledge in English?
What exactly will you do
- Develop, deliver and assess two new lecture-style language courses for large groups in the Safety and Security Management Studies curriculum: a first-year course in English Writing (150-250 students) and a third-year course in Advanced English Writing (40 students). Connect theory and practice and display enthusiasm about writing, the students, and the learning process;
- Contribute to the instruction and grading of writing assignments in the Professional Abilities track in the first and second year of the curriculum;
- Continuously improve and coordinate aspects of writing assessment in year-2 subjects using our in-house Individual English Writing Appraisal (IEWA) system;
- Provide language support to students in the thesis writing phase in the fourth year of the curriculum;
- Perform administrative duties and/or counseling activities for the programme and/or act as a member on departmental committees, such as the Curriculum Committee or Assessment Committee;
- Work closely with department colleagues on issues of student performance, curriculum, assessment and department and educational policy.
Do you want to know more about working at THUAS?
Preparing young people for the future is what The Hague University of Applied Sciences does. We share our knowledge and give the students the skills they need to be strong and confident. We do this by emphasising three core values: global citizenship, internationalisation and networking. This helps students be aware of the world around them. Their whole lives.
As a University of Applied Sciences we stand in the middle of society and we also want to reflect this. In addition to our diversity amongst students, The Hague University of Applied Sciences values the same type of diversity in her staff and among students. The Hague University of Applied Sciences seeks an inclusive campus with a diverse student and staff population in which equal opportunities stand out.
What we offer
The Safety and Security Management Studies (SSMS) programme of The Hague University of Applied Sciences (THUAS) is an ambitious, innovative and well-established 4-year bachelor programme which prepares students for professional careers in the fields of international security, public safety and industrial safety. The SSMS programme, which is licensed and accredited by the Dutch Government, is a medium-sized and fast growing programme with currently over 350 students and 20 faculty members of diverse international backgrounds. Further information about The Hague University, the SSMS programme and its curriculum is available at http://www.thehagueuniversity.com/.
- Minimally a master’s degree in English Language or Linguistics or a directly related area.
- Extensive, proven experience (minimally five years) in lecturing, teaching and assessing professional English writing at the Dutch university or university of applied sciences level, ideally also for large groups (of over 100 students), preferably in an international, multicultural environment;
- Expertise or interest in the management and governance of security, safety and risk in large, complex public or private organisations is considered an asset;
- Ability and commitment to provide individual and collective study career advice based on language proficiency assessments;
- Competence with IT tools (MS Office, email communication).
Conditions of Appointment
- A salary up to € 4.892,31 gross per month (scale 11) for a full-time work week, excluding 8% holiday pay. The actual salary will be based on individual qualifications and experience. Salary progression beyond this point is subject to performance. The employment conditions are in keeping with the Collective Labour Agreement for higher professional education;
- A full 13th month;
- An appointment of 0,8 FTE (32 hours per week) starting as soon as possible, initially in a temporary position for a period of one year, with the possibility of extension;
- Start of appointment is as soon as possible but not later than 1 June 2019;
- An easily accessible work space, The Hague, by both car (plenty of parking space) and train (next to the Hollands Spoor station);
- A generous leave policy of about 53 days for a full-time appointment including the compulsory free days and the national holidays;
- The space and resources for professional and personal development;
- Knowledge development through attending symposiums, lectures and courses;
- A large network and a dynamic environment among young, motivated international students and employees within the higher education in a metropolitan context.
Are you our new colleague?
If you fit the job requirements, then we encourage you to apply for this vacancy. You can apply for the position by submitting your CV and cover letter via the link below. The application deadline is Wednesday 27 March 2019.
The recruitment procedure comprises a first-round personal interview with selected candidates in the week of 1 – 5 April and, for those who move to the second round, preparing and delivering a mini-lecture on an English writing topic followed by a second personal interview in the week of 8 – 12 April 2019.
Do you want more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Dr. Bas van Gool, Programme manager SSMS, telephone +31 – (0)70 – 445 7029, email S.M.email@example.com .
Want more information on the application process? Then contact Resourcing, via +31 (0)70-445 8612 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
You can apply for this position through the application button. Applications sent to these e-mail addresses will not be considered.
Acquisition in response to this job opportunity is not appreciated.
Spreekt deze vacature je aan? Solliciteer dan directSolliciteer direct