- Hogeschool Rotterdam
- min. 0.6 fte, max. 0.6 fte
- max. 12 (€4.715,81 - €6.064,86)
Functie-inhoudPosition starts as soon as possible.
The Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (WdKA/RUAS), offers a variety of bachelor and master programs in the field of visual culture, art, design, education in arts, and leisure management. The curriculum of the Willem de Kooning Academy is founded in an interdisciplinary ethos through the Autonomous, Social and Commercial Practices. The Majors are the entry point of study for all Bachelor students; the Practices introduce interdisciplinary research contexts in the second half of the Bachelor programs; and the highly unique Stations (advanced workshops focused on Research through Making) complete the three pillars of the institute.
The Commercial Practices is one of three interdisciplinary graduation profiles at the Willem de Kooning Academy. The main focus of the WdKA Commercial Practices is helping artists and designers materialize and contribute to alternative modes of organization and production based on strong ecological and cooperative/collaborative values. It seeks to help students to reflect on, experiment and engage with such alternatives while bringing the urgency of the climate crisis and climate justice to art and design education. The Practices invite students to critically reflect on consumer activism, technosolutionism and the language of circularity and sustainability frequently found in today's products and services.
To achieve this, the Commercial Practices students are trained to view the world in systems. While understanding our interdependence on each other, and the situatedness of our work, it is essential to question and bring change at both local and global levels within large-scale multi-, cross-, and trans-disciplinary collaborative and cooperative structures. See the position paper for more details (please send an email to email@example.com to receive the position paper via email).
To teach our students to both recognize the aspects of the very large, and to engage with and modify the very small perspectives, we rely on three minors, that function as three lenses to allow the "zooming in and out" of these systems: Futures & Presence, Materials & Systems, and Contexts & Situatedness. Each lens provides a unique way of understanding the systems present in the world today, and creates opportunities to make the necessary interventions, as well as contributing to a future in which our decisions (and their long-term implications) are guided by alternative economic models in which the understanding of value is redefined based on social, cultural, and environmental criteria.
The position of the Practices Leader has two focus areas:
- Leading the program from an organizational and administrative perspective, including implementation of curriculum, teacher team development and task decisions
- Continuously developing the knowledge and research base of this Practice in relation to research conducted by the Research Professor, researching tutors and developments in the field and partners.
Who are we looking for
We seek a practitioner engaged in both working with, and researching the themes and directions taken by the Commercial Practices profile, having the ability to translate this to educational programs with a sound didactical base.
- Engaging and collegial leadership for approximately twenty teachers
- Efficient organizer
- Clear communicator
- Builder and networker
- Empathetic collaborator
- Experience and knowledge in the creative industries about novel forms of organization and production, including alternative economic models and businesses.
- Practical design experience in relation to energy, material and environmental constraints.
- Teaching experience within formal education, with a focus on transformative and experimental pedagogies.
- Leadership experience in education.
- Master-level degree in design, or related field.
- Experience working in the cultural sector and/or commercial or related fields in relation to the topics and themes of Commercial Practices.
- Fluency in verbal and written English (knowledge of Dutch is a plus).
- EU/ECC work authorization required at time of application
We warmly welcome applicants from underrepresented, minority, or non-conforming communities in the Willem de Kooning Academy/Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences. Our staff is diverse in terms of professional profiles and in terms of culture, gender, and ethnicity.
- You will take on the responsibility of leading and organizing all education that takes place in the context of Commercial Practices
- Foster an accountable educational environment of study for and with students and staff
- Represent and continuously contribute to WdKA's core mission: to reform Art & Design Education
- Further develop and represent (internally and externally) the Commercial Practices program & research focus
- Collaborate with other practice leaders and course leaders to ensure integration/conversation of the Commercial Practices curriculum with other learning trajectories at WdKA
- Provide support to the Research Professor and the Research Lecturers for implementing the agenda of the lectorate in relation to curriculum development.
- Join and contribute to a team of WdKA teachers discussing and exchanging ideas on topics related to WdKA Commercial Practices
- Leading, composing, inspiring and engaging the teaching team in institutional development
- Reporting to the WdKA's educational managers for quality assurance, reporting and further advancement
The team and the workplace
You will work closely with leaders for the other practices (Autonomous, Social) and collaborate with colleagues in the tutor and lifecycle teams. You will be working at our location on Blaak/Wijnhaven. The location is in the city center and close to the metro- and train station Blaak. The academy has approximately 2500 students and everything we do revolves around their educational needs and successes.
What we offer you
A temporary contract (D4) of one year as a principal lecturer, with the prospect of a permanent contract. The salary range is HBO-CAO scale 12 (€ 4.715,81 minimum and € 6.064,86 maximum gross per month based on full-time employment). A good work-life balance with 45 days off per year (with full-time employment), a 8% vacation pay and 8,3% year-end bonus. Our benefits include excellent training opportunities and an attractive pension plan.
All staff members of Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences must be able to submit a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag, VOG) issued by the Dutch Minister of Justice and Security.
Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences does not reimburse travel further than 20 km.
WdKA likes to invest in motivated and well-trained employees. Working at WdKA means that you can use facilities (via unlimited access to our Stations) for professionalization. To further your pedagogical development, you must be willing to undertake pedagogical courses i.e. BDB (Basis Didactische Vaardigheid), BKE (Basis Kwalificatie Examinering) and a Competency Assessment Course. You may utilize a Hogeschool Rotterdam discount on your healthcare.
- Motivation letter explaining your interest in and vision for the Commercial Practices at WdKA based on your experience. Include a research perspective related to the research focus of Commercial Practices and your teaching philosophy and explain how this relates to your practice in your motivation letter.
- Link to portfolio of work
- All documents must be submitted in English.
The selection procedure will take place in two phases. A short list of applicants will be drawn based on CV, letter of motivation and portfolio, followed by interviews.
Enquiries about the position and the selection procedure can be directed to Charlotte Bik, Educational Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: December 18, 2022
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
Advisory Report by the Office for Inclusivity on the State of Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity at WdKA:
Spreekt deze vacature je aan? Solliciteer dan directSolliciteer direct